My selection of resources relevant to those interested in the literature of the Long Nineteenth Century. I will add to it continually, but not allow the list to grow too unwieldy.
[Last updated: 19 Apr 2016]
[A] Lists of books
It is possible to become obsessed with book lists, but I shall restrict whatever I put here to a few of the better ones.
1. The Guardian newspaper’s (UK) 100 greatest novels of all time (2015).
2. The BBC’s The Big Read (April 2003). The British public nominated their favourite read and 200 titles were extracted and ranked. The webpage is archived but still accessible.
3. Not to forget that The Bookman produced a ‘100 Best Novels’ list. What makes it curious is that the list was published in 1898. See this blog post.
4. Columbia University’s (USA) Victorian Reading List
5. Columbia University’s (USA) Nineteenth-Century American Literature
6. An outsider’s perspective on the best in British literature. (7 Dec. 2015)
‘What does the rest of the world see as the greatest British novels? In search of a collective critical assessment, BBC Culture contributor Jane Ciabattari polled 82 book critics, from Australia to Zimbabwe – but none from the UK’.
The British Library’s excellent web resources on the Romantics and Victorians:
[C] Timeline of LNC Literature: 1709 – 1918
[D] List of authors – Index – each linked to a biography/article.
[E] Large gateway websites:
The Victorian Web [documents and images for scholars and students]
[G] Online lectures (audio):
- Mini-series intended to introduce George Eliot to undergraduates (Oxford Uni). Introduction: ‘A Very Large Brain’. 3 lectures: Mini-series.
- Great Writers Inspire. Inspirational short talks freely available to the public (Oxford Uni). Includes: Oscar Wilde’s women – Rudyard Kipling – Sir Walter Scott – Charles Dickens’s points of view – Charles Dickens Life & Influences – Jane Austen Manuscripts – Jane Austen ‘The Watsons’ – Wilkie Collins – William Blake
Full interview with Roger Luckhurst discussing King Solomon’s Mines by H. Rider Haggard (below).
Also see The Long Victorian Youtube account.
[H] My favourite Bookshops:
British Library Book Shop, Euston Road, London
Broadhurst’s Bookshop, Southport
Foyles, Charing Cross Road, London
Hatchards, Piccadilly, London
John Rylands Library – Shop, Deansgate, Manchester
Kirkdale Bookshop, Sydenham, London
London Review Book Shop, Bury Place, London
Stanfords, Covent Garden, London (Travel bookshop)
Waterstones, Deansgate, Manchester
Waterstones, Gower Street, London (“Dillons University Bookshop”)
[Plus market stalls – second hand shops etc.]