The Day Dream (1880) – By Dante Gabriel Rossetti (1828-1882). Victoria & Albert Museum.
Readers reading #9
Instead of ‘Readers reading’, perhaps this one ought to be titled ‘Reader forgetting about reading’ – we’ve all done it, one moment reading, the next drifting into a dream.
Rossetti was an English poet, illustrator, painter and translator – and co-founder of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood. The Day Dream was his last finished work. Rossetti even wrote a sonnet about this lovely painting:
Within the branching shade of Reverie
Dreams even may spring till autumn; yet none be
Like woman’s budding day-dream spirit-fann’d.
Lo! tow’rd deep skies, not deeper than her look,
She dreams; till now on her forgotten book
Drops the forgotten blossom from her hand.
The painting was based upon a chalk sketch, now held by the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford (below).
Here is a little literary context – 1880 was the year George Eliot and Gustave Flaubert died. Also – the year the following were published.
- Henry Adams (anonymously) – Democracy: An American Novel
- Wilkie Collins – Jezebel’s Daughter
- Benjamin Disraeli, 1st Earl of Beaconsfield – Endymion
- Fyodor Dostoevsky – The Brothers Karamazov (Братья Карамазовы, Brat’ya Karamazovy)
- Amelia Edwards – Lord Brackenbury
- George Gissing – Workers in the Dawn
- Anna Katharine Green – A Strange Disappearance
- Thomas Hardy – The Trumpet-Major
- Anthony Trollope – Ayala’s Angel
- Mark Twain – A Tramp Abroad
- Émile Zola – Nana
Children and young people (1880)
- Carlo Collodi – The Adventures of Pinocchio (Le avventure di Pinocchio)
- Evelyn Everett-Green – Tom Tempest’s Victory
- Johanna Spyri – Heidi
- Jules Verne – The Steam House (La Maison à vapeur)
- Oscar Wilde – Vera; or, The Nihilists (privately printed)
BELOW: Readers reading on Pinterest (from The Long Victorian)
The ‘Readers reading’ series on this blog (this list last updated, 12th March 2017).
Readers reading #1. A Girl Reading In A Sailing Boat (1869) By Alfred Corbould.
Readers reading #2 The Bookworm (1850) Carl Spitzweg.
Readers reading #3 A Pleasant Corner (1865) – By John Callcott Horsley.
Readers reading #4 The Novel Reading (1841) – By Josef Danhauser.
Readers reading #5 The Poor Poet (1839) – By Carl Spitzweg.
Readers reading #6 The Travelling Companions (1862) – By Augustus Egg.
Readers reading #7 The Breakfast (c.1911) – By William McGregor Paxton.
Readers reading #8 Answering the Emigrant’s Letter (1850) – By James Collinson.
Readers reading #9 The Love Letter (1808) – By Willem Bartel van der Kooi.
Readers reading #10 The Day Dream (1880) – By Dante Gabriel Rossetti.