Can you identify the famous opening lines above?
[Warning – clue below]
To help you here is a list of titles from which the lines were extracted, in order of date published:
- Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë (1847)
- David Copperfield by Charles Dickens (1850)
- Notes from Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky (1864)
- Middlemarch by George Eliot (1871)
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (1878)
- Jude the Obscure by Thomas Hardy (1895)
- Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie (1911)
- Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (1911)
The answers will appear on Friday.