Readers reading #7
The Breakfast (c.1911) – By William McGregor Paxton. Private collection.
I am very tempted to add thought bubbles for each of the subjects in this painting. If you have any suggestions as to what they might be thinking, let me know!
Perhaps they are pondering the books that were published that year (1911):
- Max Beerbohm – Zuleika Dobson
- Hilaire Belloc – The Four Men: a Farrago
- Arnold Bennett – The Card
- G. K. Chesterton – The Innocence of Father Brown
- Joseph Conrad – Under Western Eyes
- Ford Madox Ford – Ladies Whose Bright Eyes
- E. M. Forster – The Celestial Omnibus
- Charlotte Perkins Gilman – Moving the Mountain
- D. H. Lawrence – The White Peacock
- Katherine Mansfield – In A German Pension
- Baroness Orczy – A True Woman
- Saki – The Chronicles of Clovis
- Bram Stoker – The Lair of the White Worm
- Hugh Walpole – Mr. Perrin and Mr. Traill
- H. G. Wells – The New Machiavelli
- Edith Wharton – Ethan Frome
Children and young adults
- J. M. Barrie – Peter and Wendy (later editions Peter Pan and Wendy)
- L. Frank Baum
- The Sea Fairies
- The Daring Twins
- Aunt Jane’s Nieces and Uncle John (as Edith Van Dyne)
- The Flying Girl (as Edith Van Dyne)
- Frances Hodgson Burnett – The Secret Garden
- Beatrix Potter – The Tale of Timmy Tiptoes
- George Bernard Shaw – Fanny’s First Play
- W. B. Yeats – The Countess Cathleen (adapted for performance)
- Encyclopædia Britannica Eleventh Edition.
- Jack London – The Cruise of the Snark
- Robert Michels – Political Parties: A Sociological Study of the Oligarchical Tendencies of Modern Democracy.
- Rudolf Steiner – Mystics of the Renaissance (English translation)
- Evelyn Underhill – Mysticism: A Study of the Nature and Development of Man’s Spiritual Consciousness.
- E. Waite – The Pictorial Key to the Tarot and The Secret Tradition in Freemasonry.
BELOW: Readers reading on Pinterest (via The Long Victorian)
The ‘Readers reading’ series on this blog (this list last updated, 12th March 2017).
Readers reading #1. A Girl Reading In A Sailing Boat (1869) By Alfred Corbould.
Readers reading #2 The Bookworm (1850) Carl Spitzweg.
Readers reading #3 A Pleasant Corner (1865) – By John Callcott Horsley.
Readers reading #4 The Novel Reading (1841) – By Josef Danhauser.
Readers reading #5 The Poor Poet (1839) – By Carl Spitzweg.
Readers reading #6 The Travelling Companions (1862) – By Augustus Egg.
Readers reading #7 The Breakfast (c.1911) – By William McGregor Paxton.
Readers reading #8 Answering the Emigrant’s Letter (1850) – By James Collinson.
Readers reading #9 The Love Letter (1808) – By Willem Bartel van der Kooi.
Readers reading #10 The Day Dream (1880) – By Dante Gabriel Rossetti.